Monday, September 29, 2008

Some things never change

Monday, September 29, 2008
This entry was inspired by my dear friend, Jael, whom I met up briefly yesterday. She said, everyone of us have our own talents, while hers is in writing and literature, my is indeed sewing, crochet, basically handicraft.

Lately, I had my childhood keepsake: handmade Barbie doll clothings, framed up. Kudos to my sister, Eliza, whom had hers framed up 1st. I guess this was part of us that we will never wana throw away, and perhaps this is the best way to preserve them and admire them as and when we can. Since young, both of us were always full of ideas in our heads. As mum had always been thrifty, having Barbie dolls was a luxury, let alone having a whole collection of haute couture for them. So..... we took scraps or bedsheets, pillow cases, and turned them into pretty dresses for them. We even went on to crochet after being abit more adventurous!
All of these, had been painsakingly hand sewn by us perhaps at the tender age of 5 as far as my memory can travel back in time. Those were the days, when computers and internet were akin to unicorns and dragons. I was often looking over my sister's shoulders as she worked, yes, she was the head seamstress, while the younger me, was her only loyal customer. hehe

5 comments:

Jael Tan said...

The Ms Shakespeare address makes the hair on my neck stand! lolol

Jael Tan said...

Sweet entry. i like the part you said about you being the only loyal customer to your head seamstress sis :)

mama meya said...

auntie, i was 12 and you, 9 years old when mummy bought us our first barbie dolls. so you were not 5 when you started sewing clothes for barbie.....

but we started crocheting stuff for dunno who earlier, think i at 10 and you at 7.

mama meya said...

can i post some stuff on your webbie to sell also? like my old faded pj t-shirts? just kidding!!

but seriously if i got nice vintagely stuff, can tom-pang?

Headseamstress said...

no leh... aunty karine also bought us barbie dolls before u were 12... i dont remember u playing with them when u were sec 1 already..

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All Rights Reserved. Dayglow Vintage 2009